Please review our terms and conditions for booking with us. By accepting this or any future price quotes, invoices, bookings or charges, you are agreeing to these terms of service.
Last Update 3/15/21
Semesters are designed to offer structured learning. The student and instructor jointly set achievable educational goals which culminate in the recital. Semesters are for students who want to progress at a rapid pace and have the commitment to do so.
Fall and Spring Semesters are 18 weeks in duration and a minimum semester includes 18 lessons. Summer semester is 12 weeks.
Spring semester runs January 15- May 20
Fall Semester runs Sept 1-January 8
Summer Semester runs June 1-August 31
Cancellation and Rescheduling Policy
A cancelled lesson is one that is cancelled online with 36 hours notice given and will result in the lesson credit returned into the students account. It's usually possible to use the credit with the same instructor but we cannot guarantee it. Please begin the process of rebooking your cancelled lesson with your instructor as soon as possible.
Please do not email or message the scheduling team or your instructor about cancellations. Only online cancellations are accepted.
No-shows are lessons that are not cancelled outside the 36 hour cancellation window. Or lessons during which no student showed up for their lesson. No lesson credit is returned for no-shows.
Due to the variable nature of performance schedules and rehearsals, as well as unforeseeable circumstances for teacher absences, a substitute teacher may be assigned to your lesson. In the unlikely event of an instructor's inability to complete the semester with a student, a permanent substitute may be assigned. Please note we cannot guarantee your teacher's availability to reschedule lessons. If you miss a lesson we will do our best to reschedule but we cannot guarantee. M Institute for the Arts reserves the right to substitute a teacher or to reschedule lessons.
Rollover lessons are lessons originally booked in one semester that go unused and are permitted to be used past their natural expiration into the following semester. Lesson credits may only be rolled over once. Once a credit has been rolled over into a new semester, it may not be rolled over again.
Spring and Fall semesters may request up to two (2) eligible lesson credits to roll over into the following semester.
All Summer semester registrants. may request up to four (4) eligible lesson credits to roll over into the Fall semester.
First time students who join the Semester more than a quarter of the way through may roll over the number of lessons already missed in a semester. However, recital and group class eligibility may be restricted.
If you're having lessons, you should have a good place to practice! So practice room membership is included in your semester.
Practice rooms are located in our basement. While the rooms are open except from 1am to 5pm, please be respectful of our residential neighbors and only use instruments with headphones, like the digital pianos, between the hours of 10pm and 7am. If you are playing audibly between 10pm and 7am, your practice room membership will be terminated and you will be held responsible for any noise ordinance fines levied upon M Institute.
Practice room membership means having access to the practice room floor. However, we cannot guarantee availability of rooms. You may need to wait for a room, or for your preferred room if the floor becomes busy.
Occasionally, M Institute may close rooms for many reasons, including repairs and the need to keep noise down upstairs for certain events and/or recordings.
If you are in a practice room you should be practicing. Please do not hold a room if you are not actively practicing. If you are taking lessons online at M Institute you may use the rooms to take your lessons. Activities that are not permitted include using rooms for non-M Institute lessons, either giving them or receiving them, practicing amplified instruments at unnecessarily loud decibels.
Approved instruments that may be practiced in our practice rooms:
Please email to receive approval for other instruments.
Other perks included with your semester
There are a number of perks to joining the semester that come at no additional cost or come with a significant discount. Studio classes when scheduled are included at no additional cost. The end-of-semester recital is free to semester students to perform. Semester students a receive regular weekly lesson time unless discussed otherwise, priority lesson scheduling, and on-demand access to the website.
Reserving your Spot
The order in which we receive applications with payment will determine appointment scheduling priority. If getting a certain appointment time is important to you, then please submit your application with payment right away. The number of semester students available for each instructor is limited. Our instructors are often also active performers.
Returns and refunds
All sales are final. No refunds. Payment plans may not be terminated. $50 late-payment fee. 36 hour cancellation policy. All cancellations must be made online or in the app. Unused lesson credits expire at the end of the semester unless qualifying for rollover credits.
You and your instructor may only communicate between lessons though our communication platform, Remind. No communication, solicitation for private contact information, or distribution of private contact information is permitted.
M Institute incurs significant expense recruiting and training both faculty and students. Faculty may not be solicited by students or booked outside of Aria LLC for a period of 24 months from the most recent booking for the student or faculty member. In the event of such occurrence, Student and Faculty shall be jointly and severally liable for payment of Aria LLC's usual compensation. If you or your teacher leave our school and you both prefer to continue lessons together, please simply reach out to us. We often can make that happen.
Last Update 1/15/21
The Terms and Conditions of Performance, which may be attached or referenced by a link or which have already been provided to you through previous invoices, apply to this invoice and to all of your subsequent purchases and invoices. Please read them carefully. They constitute an agreement between you and the Performer or Producer as the case may be.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PERFORMANCE DEFINITIONS. "Performer" is a professional entertainer. "Content" is audio/visual programming of entertainment embodied in a digital medium and provided to Buyer for display and may have been pre-recorded or delivered via livestreaming. "Agent" or "Producer", as the case me be, is ARIA LLC, a limited liability company registered in the District of Columbia. "Buyer" is the person or entity who has request professional entertainment services referenced in the attached or subsequent invoices from Agent. "Performance" is an artistic presentation by Performer whether in person or by digital means.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS A nonrefundable deposit in the amount of 50% of the invoice amount shall be due in full upon Buyer's receipt of invoice. Payment may be made via Cash/Check/Credit/Money Order. Checks payee shall be ARIA LLC and shall be mailed to "M Institute for the Arts", 1804 T Street NW, Washington, DC. 20009. A 5.00% convenience fee shall be charged to credit card payments. All sales are nonrefundable except as may be provided herein. In the event that Performance is cancelled by Buyer for whatever reason, Buyer will pay full invoice amount within 10 days of Buyer's cancellation. Event may be rescheduled by mutual agreement. In the event of Performance cancellation by Performer, Performer shall make every reasonable effort to provide substitute performers of equal talent. If the Performer is unable to find substitute performers acceptable Buyer, all amounts previously paid for the subject Performance shall be returned to Buyer within 30 days of Performer’s cancellation. In no event shall Performer or his procuring agent be held responsible for payment of damages in excess of any amounts previously paid by Buyer.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by, enforced, and construed under and in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and, with respect to the matters of state law, with the laws of the District of Columbia. Any failure by either party at any time to enforce or require the strict performance of any of the terms or conditions hereof shall not constitute a waiver of its rights and shall not affect or impair either party's right to avail itself of the remedies available for subsequent breach of such terms or conditions. In the event that any one or more of the provisions of this Agreement shall for any reason be held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability shall not affect any other provision, and the Agreement shall be construed as though it has not contained the invalid, illegal, or unenforceable provision. These Terms and Conditions shall apply to the subject invoice and shall continue to apply to subsequent bookings by Buyer unless superseded by mutual agreement.
LIVE PERFORMANCES In the event of a Live Performance, Buyer acknowledges that these Terms and Conditions shall be construed as an agreement between Buyer and Performer, and Agent is not a party to this agreement but is a procuring third party and authorized representative of Performer. The Live Performance(s) shall occur at the venue and date and time referenced in the subject invoice, and subject to the following provisions:
1. Performance fee of the invoice amount shall be paid upon receipt of invoice, and other payments due for expenses as hereinafter provided.
2. For in-person piano Performances, Buyer will provide, set up, and clean up of all equipment needed by Performer. Needed equipment: Piano (tuned), Chairs, cart table (for CD Sales), Microphone(s), side table with water to the left of piano.
3. Performer may videotape or audiotape the Performance. Buyer may videotape or audiotape the Performance with prior approval of Performer and for private non-commercial use only.
4. Buyer shall provide parking easily accessible to the Performance venue.
5. A suitable piano, if necessary for Presentation, shall be provided by Buyer and be in proper tune and repair. Buyer shall provide a side table with water and water glass to the left of piano.
6. Performer's musical instruments, if any, except for piano, shall be provided by Performer. Lighting, sound, and other equipment shall be provided by Buyer.
7. BREAKS: One 15-minute break for each hour of Performance at the discretion of Performer
8. Buyer may request certain repertoire and styles of Performance, however such request shall not be binding and Performer shall retain full artistic control of the Performance.
9. Performer may reference, verbally or in print, the Performer’s artistic catalog or Performer’s website. Performer may solicit, verbally or in print, the sale any merchandise, such as CDs, while at Buyer's venue.
10. Buyer shall provide convenient parking and loading locations. Buyer shall provide suitable wardrobe changing rooms and break area, which shall be available to Artist at least one hour prior to and after each Performance.
11. In the event of an outstanding balance at the time of Performance, Buyer shall pay such balance by check to Performer prior to or immediately following the Performance.
12. A late fee of $25 per week will be added to any outstanding balance which may exist following the date of the Performance.
13. In the event of live Performance, Agent is not a party to this Agreement and has no obligations hereunder. Agent represents Performer only and shall be held harmless for any obligations under this Contract. Agent assumes no responsibility or liability as between Buyer and Performer. ARIA LLC is the Agent for Performer and is the procuring cause of this agreement.
14. REBOOKING. If Performer(s) is rebooked into this or any venue connected with the Buyer (including chain buyers of music and/or entertainment) within 24 months from the most recent Performance at such venue or directly or indirectly for Buyer, Buyer and Performer shall be jointly and severally liable for payment of Agent's usual compensation.
15. Performer agrees to obtain and secure, at Performer’s expense, all necessary and/or required licenses, rights or permits to perform the material involved in the Performance and to provide documentation of such rights, licenses or permits to Buyer upon reasonable request.
16. All work performed by Performer in connection with the services described in this Agreement shall be performed by Performer as an independent contractor and not as the agent or employee of Buyer. All persons furnished by Performer shall be for all purposes solely Performer’s employees or agents and shall not be deemed to be employees of Buyer for any purpose whatsoever. Performer shall furnish, employ and have exclusive control of all persons to be engaged in performing services under this Agreement and shall prescribe and control the means and methods of performing such services by providing adequate and proper supervision.
17. In addition to the Performance Fee of the subject invoice, Performer shall be reimbursed for bona fide and reasonably necessary expenses which include, but are not limited to, travel expenses, meals, lodging and local rental automobile. Such expenses shall be at the reasonable discretion of Performer. Reimbursement for expenses are due from Buyer upon presentation by Performer or Agent of evidence of such expenses incurred.
PERFORMANCE BY DISPLAY OF CONTENT
In the event of Performance by display of Content, Buyer acknowledges that these Terms and Conditions shall be construed as an agreement between Buyer and Producer and shall be subject to the following provisions:
1. ARIA LLC (“Producer”) is the owner of the subject Content, which is protected by copyright.
2. LICENSE TO DISPLAY CONTENT. In consideration of payment received from Buyer and/or an agreement of future payment(s) to be made by Buyer to Producer, Producer hereby grants to Buyer a non-exclusive, limited license to display such Content as is the subject of such payment and as referenced in the subject invoice. There shall be no transfer of ownership rights or interest in such Content from Producer to Buyer. The license shall be valid only for the subject Content and on the date mutually agreed by Buyer and Producer, and for an audience of fewer than 500 persons. Buyer is prohibited from copying, reproducing, capturing, altering, modifying, downloading, distributing, redistributing, broadcasting, sublicensing, or publishing such Content.
3. To the best of Producer’s knowledge, Producer represents and warrants that: (i) the content does not infringe any third party rights, including without limitation, intellectual property rights and privacy rights; (ii) programming is original works of the Producer or obtained pursuant to proper permissions authorizing the grant of rights herein; and (iii) are not defamatory, libelous, or obscene.
4. Producer retains all ownership rights, title, and interest in and to the Content and underlying programming. 5. In the event of default by Producer of any of its obligations, liquidated damages payable to Buyer shall be any monies paid to Producer for purchase of the license. In no event shall Buyer be entitled to damages in excess of the aforementioned liquidated damages.